Friday 13 January 2012

Babies from the heart....

"You were born from my heart"...this was the answer that Sushmita Sen had given to her daughter Renee, when the later asked her if she came from her mother's tummy.

Babies from the heart or adopted babies is not a new concept in our country. But still somewhere deep down they are not accepted as openly as biological babies are. Oprah Winfrey once said, "Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother". Anyone can give birth, but what is important is how you grow up to be a mother. I was reading a book by Nandini Sengupta called 'Babies from the heart'. The writer who is an adopted parent, talks about the joys and anguish of adoption in India.

Adoption is still predominantly seen as the only option for parents who are unable to have their own biological children. While reading the book couple of questions kept bothering me. Why can't parents with their own biological kids adopt? Why does adoption always have to be the last option for childless couples? When will we be able to sit on the other side of the table and think beyond our own selfish interests? We bring home a baby because we cannot have our own, not because we want to give the baby a loving & secured life, and the warmth of a family.

My maths may not be that great, but I can confidently deduce that if out of 10 couples in India, 2 chooses to adopt 1 kid, we will not need orphanages in our country. We will not have kids without adequate food, shelter and education fighting alone in this 'big bad world' world for no fault of their own.

Well, I accept its easier said than done. The entire process of adoption is a complex roller-coaster ride, both emotianaly and socialy. Our society is still not matured enough to accept adoption. I still remember something my mother told me when someone in my family went for adoption. She said "You cannot fit in a skin of some other tree onto your own". At that point, I revolted, and gave her a long gyaan. But now when I sit back and think, I realise that revolting is not the right thing to do. What we have to do is to educate people around us. 

Babies are god's gift to mankind whether they are born bilogically or are from the heart....

  

No comments:

Post a Comment