Saturday 20 October 2018

When Ma Durga is not a devi.

Every year Durga Pujo comes and brings with it a fair share of heartache. The pain of staying away from home, from my parents, family, friends (most of them), and those lanes of my para (locality) which carries millions of memories. But this year the heartache was lot less. Because this year, we brought a piece of our home to Bangalore. The idea was hatched in our living rooms, and within a span of few months it slowly took its wings and was transformed into a beautiful reality called Harmony Mahotsav.

All these years I have grown up seeing the elders in my neighbourhood, do all the pujo arrangements. We would be mere spectators, watching all the grand arrangements be done for the almighty Mother Goddess. So to me, Ma Durga was the diva goddess who wanted her devotees to flawlessly carry on all her rituals. But this year as 12-13 inexperienced families came forward to welcome Goddess Durga home, she effortlessly slipped into being the daughter-next-door and was quick in forgiving our numerous faux pas. While I will not remember many of my old pujos back home, I will never forget the joy I felt, as we ladies sat together picking flowers, arranging 108 diyas and lotus flowers for Sandhi pujo, cutting fruits for bhog, making noibadya, preparing bhog for Ma with my own hands. It is difficult to explain this feeling. It is a strange feeling of fulfilment only Ma Durga can bestow on us.


































While I should thank a lot of people, I don’t want to say it loud here, in the apprehension of missing out anyone unknowingly.  But one person I cannot miss thanking is Dhriti di, for giving me the chance to do my little bit, knowing very well that I will not be available always (thanks to office and Mr Toddler).
On a parting note, it felt refreshing to welcome Ma as a family member rather than the devi who is shrouded by religious fanaticism. Eibhabei nijer hoe esho protyek bocchor Ma...


No comments:

Post a Comment