Tuesday 21 May 2019

The ART of not doing anything

“So what you doing this weekend”, my well-meaning colleague asked.
“Nothing”, I replied
“Really. you need to get a life”, pat came the reply.

I was stunned. Which part of my ‘Nothing’ gave away the impression I did not have a life. While pondering over it, I realised the art of doing nothing is slowly getting lost. One of my very fond childhood memories is of the hot afternoons (mostly during summer vacation) I spent lounging in the garden, doing nothing, just listening to the birds chirping, and street vendors calling out their different fares. My young mind was lulled into ‘nothingness’ as I breathed in the heady aroma of the jasmine flowers mixed with the hot damp smell of my beloved city; Kolkata.

But kids nowadays are not allowed to indulge in ‘nothingness’. Every second and every minute of their life must be filled with a purpose. French class, guitar lessons, swimming, drawing classes, Cuemath, Kumon, horse-riding, etc, fill in their days in a way that they do not find the time to do the most important things human beings are capable of doing: Observe, Think (on your own) and Feel. When I take my 3 year old to the neighbourhood park, I’m always greeted with the oft familiar picture of mothers pulling and pushing their kids on rides one after the other. If any kid is found standing in a corner and staring into ‘nothingness’, the parent is promptly by their side trying to coax him/her to the slide, or the swing, or the seesaw, because the one hour spent in the park MUST be spent doing what they are supposed to do, Play and have fun. We new-age parents take fun seriously too.


What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

Well, what can I say, William Henry Davies must have owned a time machine. When was the last time you stood and saw a single, beautiful, forlorn flower slowly fall down the branch in rhythmic twirly movement and ever-so-gently hit the ground? I do not remember when.

I’m an inherently restless person, and there was a time in life when I too was busy filling in my days with ‘purposeful tasks’. But then divine intervention happened, in the form of my husband. Kunal taught me the value of ‘not doing anything’. How by not doing anything you can connect better with your own self, and achieve a sense of fulfilment and peace which no amount of busy schedules can give you. Honestly, the busier your schedule gets, the deeper the void inside you becomes.

Since I have experienced this journey from being restless to mindful, this state of nothingness impacts me more intensely. When I say mindful, I’m painfully aware that I’m nowhere close to be an absolute mindful person. My journey has just begun and I’m somehow flailing my arms, gasping and trying to stay afloat. Because mindfulness is a tough nut to crack, especially in a society like ours where ‘being busy’ is perceived as the cool thing, and ‘doing nothing’ is stuff losers do.


My recent tryst with Yoga nidra reinforced my belief in the power of ‘not doing anything, except being present at the moment’. I will not exaggerate if I say that Yoga nidra changed something deep down inside me. When I learned about the concept of Yoga nidra, I laughed. So I have to pay for a class and go and sleep there, really!!! I’m a super-exhausted working mother of a toddler, all I need to sleep is 40 seconds of silence. But of course Yoga nidra is so much more than sleeping. Yoga nidra to me is an absolute means of attaining a state of consciousness, where your mind and soul is ready to feel and realise the truth we otherwise would never fathom with our mortal senses. Nothing in life has helped me connect with myself more than this practice. This practice has made me lead life more slowly and meaningfully. What have I achieved out of that? Well, the leaves seem more greener, the person sitting across me more humane and my heart happier. It is a little gain, but so totally worth it 😊

That is enough about Yoga nidra now, I will write more about my experience in my coming blogs. For now we are talking about ‘doing nothing’. Through my words all I want to communicate is that it is okay if some of us consciously decide to take life slow. It is okay to stand and stare at ‘nothingness’. it is also okay, if you do not understand this. But at least try to not judge their way of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment